Monday, October 9, 2017

Sunday, October 1 through Friday, October 20: Home and Travel Ready

Coming home from a 15 day travel trailer trip means cleaning up the trailer --- inside and out. Tom began the process of washing the trailer.
I took care of the dog bedding, the bed linens, etc. We probably won't be using the trailer again until December.

The master bedroom shower has been in need of re-caulking --- at the base. I went to the Tuesday morning Highland Meadows ladies breakfast at El Corral Restaurant on Route 66.
I asked the ladies if any of the home owners could recommend someone to do the re-caulking project. No recommendations were available. So, I called my electrician, Terry Kohls. He had a recommendation and I called them. It was refreshing. Ron Cook and his son Derek dropped by my house that afternoon, looked at the project, and said that they would be back in the morning to do the work.
That night, I found out that my youngest brother, John, was going to be on a television episode of "This is us." I knew that he had been selected for the episode, as it was filmed in July. Through DirecTV, I receive both east coast and west coast feeds. So, the NBC show was first aired at 6:00pm. John warned that his role was in the first few minutes of the show.  John was a jeweler in a blue sport coat. What fun!
John and friends watched the episode that night in Southern California.
Ron and Derek came to re-caulk the shower Wednesday morning. Then, I headed off to Flagstaff. I had a hair appointment with Shawna and a facial appointment with Sue. It is always nice to tidy myself up :-)

Thursday was a travel day. In the morning, I dropped the dogs off at Cinder Hills Kennel and drove down to Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix. I decided it was time to finally start my airplane travels in Phoenix --- rather than LAX. I am not familiar with Sky Harbor, so I arrived early to locate the economy parking lot and to identify the American Airlines terminal. It really was rather simple.
I arrived at Memphis International Airport about 8:30pm. Since I was in the area for a surprise birthday party, I was not able to post any Instagram or Facebook photos.
I rented a car at Alamo and I spent the night at a Choice Hotel in midtown Memphis. I was picking up friend Barbara Coad in the morning. She took a late night flight from LAX.

It was an easy pick-up of Barbara. The Memphis airport only has one terminal. We then drove the 80 miles to Oxford, Mississippi. It is always amazing to see how many trees are in the south! Barbara had booked for us at the Courtyard by Marriott. Since she is a platinum member, they upgraded us to a Queen Suite. Nice!
Barbara did not get a lot of sleep the night before. So, we walked to downtown Oxford and enjoyed the old town square.
Then, we had a fun lunch at Trip Advisor's #1 rated restaurant, Ajax. We created a smorgasbord of southern cooked vegetables. It was like a tapas sampling of sweet potatoes, butter beans, red beans and rice, fried eggplant, green beans, broccoli casserole, and corn bread.
Then, we walked back to the hotel and took a two hour nap. The surprise party was at 6:00pm. We had some time to go over the University of Mississippi campass --- Ole Miss. In 1973, I was in Oxford, MS, for the annual Delta Gamma convention. I was president of my house, and Ole Miss is where Delta Gamma was started. 1973 was the centennial year. So, it was a must that I visit the DG chapter.
The house is gorgeous --- typical Southern mansion look.
Then, we were off to the home of Burson friends --- Jan and Claude --- to ready for the surprise party for Ellen's 60th birthday.

It was a hit. Ellen was very surprised. There were eight or nine of us who traveled to Oxford from California, Arizona, and New York City.
It was a great time. Mark, Ellen's husband, did a good job making this all happen.
There was a delicious variety of food and beverages --- and, of course a cake!
Also in attendance were the three Burson children --- Wynn, Holly, and Kelly. This photo includes children Kelly and Wynn.
The next morning, we met most of the members of the Burson family for breakfast at Big Bad Breakfast restaurant. While waiting for a table, we enjoyed a Farmer's Market.
After breakfast, we went to the Burson family home on a private lake in Oxford. What a great view!
There was a nice photo opportunity of waving folks from the backyard porch of the home.
That afternoon, Barbara and I said our "goodbyes." We headed back to Memphis. Barbara had never been to Memphis, so we took in three highlights and a visit to Hard Rock Cafe. We stopped at Graceland Mansion for a photo shot. From Graceland Boulevard, it is difficult to see Graceland, so I settled for a bronze statue of Elvis.
Then, we walked on Beale Street. One street block is barricaded so that pedestrians can wander without automobiles.
Barbara collects Hard Rock Cafe hoodies from all over the world. Memphis was a new destination and a new hoodie sweatshirt!

The final Memphis stop was the Peabody Hotel and the famous ducks of the hotel. Barbara and I had several adult beverages in the hotel lobby and had great seats to see the ducks enjoying the lobby fountain.
At 5:00pm, they depart the lobby fountain, walk to the elevator, and ascend to the penthouse roof top.

We had room reservations at the Courtyard by Marriott near the Memphis International Airport. So, we refueled the car, stopped at a Kroger grocery store for microwavable dinner items, dropped off our luggage at the hotel, and took the rental car back to Alamo. The hotel shuttle picked us up.
We both had early flights in the morning --- Barbara's at 6:30 am and mine an hour later. So, we arranged with the front desk to get the first shuttle at 5:00 am. In the morning, we were asked to be in the lobby five minutes early. So, we had lasagna for dinner --- with a nice bottle of Chardonnay. Then, we retired for the night.

Oh, oh... the shuttle driver did not arrive for our pick-up early Sunday morning. The night front desk clerk had to call us a taxi.
She called several taxi companies until one could pick us up immediately. I was fine on time, but Barbara was cutting it close. The good news was that Barbara made her flight and her bag was checked to her Los Angeles final destination. I went through security and had breakfast at Starbucks.

The flight was uneventful and arrived on-time to Sky Harbor. I took the Sky light rail to the economy parking lot and headed off to Flagstaff. I called Cinder Hills Kennel and said that I would be picking up the dogs before 1:00 pm. They were ready to climb into the back seat area of my truck.
I got to Williams around 2:00 pm. It was nice to be home! I started some laundry and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon with Tom and the dogs.

Monday was the Columbus Day holiday. No mail. It was a beautiful fall day. So, Tom and I took the dogs for a walk. We parked my truck on Route 66 in town and walked up to the Santa Fe Dam. Tom took Libby for ten minutes or so. He worked with her to not pull on the leash. She is a puller all the way!
It is always fun to set-up the dogs for a photo opportunity.
My Samsung Galaxy S6 phone has had two batteries replaced in the past month. It still is not maintaining its charge. In frustration, I decided to "bite the bullet" and get a new phone. After researching options, I decided to get the Galaxy S8. I have always been an android person. Through Verizon, at least I can turn in my old phone for a nominal credit.

Now that we have CenturyLink internet service at the house, we can take advantage of streaming movies. We went to Flagstaff on Wednesday to purchase a Roku. Tom did a great job setting it up on the living room television.
It will be fun to start using the Amazon Prime streaming perk. I may also switch from the DVD Netflix to the online Netflix service.

It is that time of year when all of the pine needles are falling. While I do have a gardening service, I help out by cleaning the rain gutters and pruning plants. I just leave piles of needles for the gardeners to bag them up and then take them away.
On Saturday afternoon, I took the dogs on a walk at Kaibab Lake. The Forest Service Campground is closed for the season, but day visits are allowed. It was a beautiful day. I wanted to walk the trail around the lake, but Ramsey nixed that. His paw pads are very sensitive to rocks.
Tom and I decided to "go out on the town" for some prime rib and some dancing with a live band. Rod's Steakhouse has prime rib daily. I became reacquainted with Rod's several months ago. There are two sisters who are servers there and are both very personable. Important to ask for Corina or Mikayla. We had Mikayla this time!
Tom and I both ordered our prime rib rare. I ordered the Ladies Cut, and Tom had the Regular Cut. Nothing finer to go with it --- horseradish and loaded baked potatoes. The bottle of wine, a William Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, was also tasty.

After dinner, we dropped by the Grand Canyon Brewery. Posters in town publicized a live band both Friday and Saturday nights. It was good music --- mostly classic country. Tom and I danced to a few songs. The band appreciated our involvement. Most of the guests were there to just eat, drink, and listen.
The mornings have been brisk. But, the days get into the early 70s. The Highland Meadows ladies group had a special breakfast on Tuesday. Gloria, a friend of Linda Czech, owns a lovely B&B in town. She invited the group to her B&B for a home cooked breakfast buffet.
Gloria and her husband have owned this B&B for 12 years. They recently had a first grandchild and are moving to Minneapolis. So, the B&B is for sale. Gloria loves to cook, and the food was spectacular.
I made a trip to Flagstaff on Wednesday for a hair appointment and errands. I fly out of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport the end of the week --- for London.

Thursday morning, I walked the dogs in the neighborhood early. I was hosting a reunion. My first husband, Bill Madden, and his wife Trudy, were coming for breakfast. They live in New Jersey, but are in Arizona for a Tucson wedding. Trudy has never been to the Grand Canyon, so that is their Thursday destination.
We were also joined by Stephanie and Joe Hap. In the mid 1970s, Bill and Joe were captains in the army, stationed in West Germany. Stephanie and Joe retired to Prescott, Arizona in May, 2015. Bill and Joe had not seen each other since my wedding to Bill in 1975. Joe was one of the groomsmen.
After the breakfast, Tom and I packed up the dogs for delivery to Cinder Hills Kennel for four weeks. After dropping them off, we drove to Phoenix. Since I had an early afternoon flight out of Sky Harbor the next day, it made sense to spend the night there --- at a Comfort Inn. My friends, Linda and Mark Ostiguy, were in a nearby RV Park. So, we met them for dinner at the Yard House in Glendale. It was a fun reunion and a happening place!
The next morning, Tom dropped me off at Sky Harbor's Air Canada Terminal--- off to London via Toronto! It was an overnight flight, scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at 11:00 am.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, June 17 to Sunday, June 30, 2024: Alaska Bound, Geocaching, Appointments in Flagstaff,

Donna and David and their dog Doug are on their way to Alaska. They started the trek on the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek, British Columbia...